The overwhelming majority of HawaiianRentals users are trustworthy and well-meaning.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions on-line as you would off-line.
Taking simple precautions helps make HawaiianRentals safer for everyone.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between advertiser and customer only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect that a HawaiianRentals post may be connected to a scam, please send us the details.
Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, Paypal, Zelle, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
Example of Scam
Someone claims your transaction is guaranteed, that a Advertiser is officially certified, OR that a third party of any kind will handle or provide protection for a payment:
- These claims are fraudulent, as transactions are between advertiser and customer only.
- The scammer will often send an official looking (but fake) email that appears to come from HawaiianRentals or another third party, offering a guarantee, certifying a advertiser, or pretending to handle payments.
Here is a partial list of goods, services, and content prohibited on HawaiianRentals:
- lottery or raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries, slot machines, gambling items
- weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, etc
- false, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent content; bait and switch; keyword spam
- offers, solicitation, or facilitation of illegal prostitution and/or sex trafficking
- postings or email the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to a website
- counterfeit, replica, or pirated items; tickets or gift cards that restrict transfer
- any good, service, or content that violates the law or legal rights of others
- prescription drugs, medical devices; controlled substances and related items
- alcohol or tobacco; unpackaged or adulterated food or cosmetics
- ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives
- pet sales (re-homing with small adoption fee ok), animal parts, stud service
- endangered, imperiled and/or protected species and any parts thereof, e.g. ivory
- hazardous materials; body parts/fluids; unsanitized bedding/clothing
- offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or malicious postings or email
- anyone’s personal, identifying, confidential or proprietary information
- food stamps, WIC vouchers, SNAP or WIC goods, governmental assistance
- ID cards, licenses, police insignia, government documents, birth certificates, etc
- US military items not demilitarized in accord with Defense Department policy
- exploitation or endangerment of minors; child pornography
- spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content
- postings or email offering, promoting, or linking to unsolicited products or services
- affiliate marketing; network, or multi-level marketing; pyramid schemes
- stolen property, property with serial number removed/altered, burglary tools, etc
Please don't use HawaiianRentals for these purposes, and flag / contact us anyone else you see doing so.
Thanks for helping keep HawaiianRentals safe and useful for everyone.